Friday, 11 October 2013

You May Say I'm A Dreamer

If I was talking to you in person I'd start by saying, "close your eyes and imagine..." but since you can't close your eyes and continue reading what I'm about to write, how 'bout you just imagine...

A world with no hate. No judgement. No one fighting wars or discriminating over another groups' beliefs, religions, skin colour, and gender has no affect on status. A world that isn't governed by a set group of laws and regulations but instead order is achieved through understanding - of one another, of right versus wrong, of acceptance. 

Can you imagine this place? 

For those of you rolling your eyes (as I'm sure there are at least a few) I've actually been to this place. Through the kindness and selflessness of a new friend that I had only known a couple days I was able to travel to this place and experience it, take it all in, witness the tolerance, acceptance, and happiness that this place embodies. Just in case you haven't guessed yet, I'm talking about Disney World - okay, now for sure there are people rolling their eyes.

But bare with me. 

It's called the most magical place on Earth and boasts as being the place where Dreams Come True. Cheesy gimmicks? Idealist slogans for a multi-billion dollar company/corporation? Sure. But are they true? Absolutely.

In two days I spent twenty-one hours walking around The Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios at Disney World and of course everyone is on vacation and it's hard not to be overwhelmed with happiness, but it truly is magic. This microcosm of the world - all different ages and cultures coming together for a common reason, and, everyone gets along! Whether you're five, twenty-five (that would be me), or fifty there are no shortages of folks decked out in Disney garb and costumes, there is no shortage of suspension of disbelief as we all wait upwards of thirty minutes just to meet Cinderella or Ariel or Mickey. But the coolest part of all is that there is this unspoken understanding that we will all wait in line, take turns, be courteous and respectful and accept the fact that although we may be five, twenty-five, or fifty, no one comments on the fact that we're standing in line to have our picture taken with someone dressed in a costume. 

If you can remove yourself from the reality that of course this is what Disney World is all about, imagine if we could bring this same practice forward into the rest of the world. As John Lennon sang, "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." And what better place to inspire a dream of a world of tolerance and acceptance than the very place where dreams come true


At this time I would like to extend a tremendous thank you to my hosts in Kissimmee, Florida - April, Joey, and Ana for helping make one of my dreams come true. Selflessness, and kindness is alive and well, people, and this family is living proof. 










And, that's a wrap.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren. We don't know each other but we share a pretty awesome mutual friend and a few months back while talking over coffee(iced green tea) she mentioned she had this really brave and amazing friend who was going to hop in a car and travel north america, solo.

    Now that caught my imagination and had me close my eyes and dream a little. I had similar urges to just drift and travel but never was able to jump at the chance because I allowed real life (kids/job) to take over. I can admit now that I probably also lacked the courage. Anyway when our friend also said you were going to blog about your trip I was curious and to be honest maybe a little determined to live my dream through your journey. So I have followed your blog thus far and am excited when I get an email notifying me that a new entry has been posted (okay maybe even a little concerned when days go by with no news).

    The last post of yours is about dreams and imagination and I thought that on today, Canadian Thanksgiving, I would like to tell you that, to me, you are a living example of both. And I'll bet I'm not the only one.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete