Monday, 30 September 2013

Moment of Silence

In 2006 I travelled to Europe with my high school. Of course we visited many of the amazing tourist attractions like The Coliseum, The London Eye, and The Trevi Fountain, to name a few but one stop had us visit the concentration camp in Dachau, Germany. There is a surreal and overwhelming sobering feeling that comes over one when you step into somewhere that carries with it such a tragic, horrific history. For the second time in my life I had that same sobering feeling come over me today.

Today I visited what is the new Sandy Hook Elementary School in Monroe, CT. The old building in Newtown that saw one of the most horrific events I could ever imagine is no longer in use. As I drove through the community and saw countless mailboxes and fences adorned with green and white ribbons in memory of lives lost and in solidarity, support, of their community it really hit me that this was a community that, to this day, is in mourning and is trying to heal. As I pulled up to the school I never expected to get close to the building or even get inside. There was a barricade with a police officer at the entrance to the parking lot. He checks IDs and does his best to keep his community safe. I pulled up and handed him my letter and asked if he would be able to pass it along to anyone that he thought may need it. Before I drove away he looked me in the eyes, shook my hand, and said such a sincere "thank you", I knew that he was saying much more than thank you for a letter:



To The People of Sandy Hook: The students, the teachers, the parents, the community,


My name is Lauren Ridd, I am twenty-five years old, and I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. On December fourteenth, I, like countless others around the globe, watched, and listened, and read as the horrific events unfolded at Sandy Hook Elementary School. And, like countless others, my heart broke.

As an outsider, it is impossible and would be unfair for one to even begin to think or try to understand the horror, the fear, the loss, the pain, and the heartbreak that you have gone through. But, like millions of people in your country, and, undoubtedly, billions all over the world, I feel compassion and empathy, and I can mourn for every loss you have suffered because of that day.

I know I am not the first to say, but your strength, tenacity, and ability to survive – to get up and go to work or school, to carry on with your lives, despite what one could only imagine to be the worst day of your lives, is admirable and inspirational – in every sense of those words. For that, I thank you.

            The unfair loss of innocence and dozens of lives that could have been is one thing that makes your tragedy so, so heartbreaking. The ones that will never know how it feels to kiss a boy for the first time on a warm summer afternoon. The ones that will never get to drive their parents car for the first time – and the ones who, inevitably would crash it. There are the ones that will never be able to get down on one knee and propose to the love of their lives – the ones that will never get to say, “yes.” But what saddens me the most is the ones that will never be pushed or given the chance to figure out what they are meant to do in this world. That, breaks my heart.

            As an outsider that has watched, and listened, and read only being able to imagine what the day was like for your school and community, feeling sad and mournful and angry at the person that caused so much pain is the common reaction. But, know that that day and all that you went through, and all that you continue to go through every day since December Fourteenth, you inspire people around the world.

            Sandy Hook, you may not realize it, but you are the heroes of this world. Your ability to go on with your lives, to walk into another school, to walk into another classroom, to receive thousands upon thousands of letters just like this one from strangers, outsiders, all over the world trying to make sense of the senseless: thank you, Sandy Hook, for being strong, and tenacious, and inspiring.

Stay strong.

Love, support, and admiration,

Lauren Ridd

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lauren, you're letter is so true and inspirational, made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete