Without hesitation, almost every single person I know - from co-workers, friends, family, old classmates, even people I barely knew were passing me cash in support of "Cuts For A Cure". This event I had thrown together with the help of many, but without Sandy Lemoine (formerly Turner) of First Impressions Hair & Skin Team, it would not have been possible. I pledged to cut 1 inch of hair off for ever $100 dollars I raised. Why? Because hair grows back, breasts don't. Hair grows back, lives don't.
I recently read a quote from Ellen DeGeneres which read, "I don't plan on participating in Breast Cancer Awareness Month every year. Just until there's a cure." As she enters into her 11th year of officially supporting/raising awareness and funds for research for this disease that has claimed the lives of so many women and men around the world. I hope we can all take the same approach as Ellen - it's not a forever thing, it's an until we can find a solution thing. Until then, we're going to do what we can, each one of us individually, doing what we can.
I'm not writing this post to toot my own proverbial horn. I'm not bragging about what I did and how it was a great act of kindness. Because I don't believe in doing things for recognition but rather because it's the right thing to do. I'm writing this because, as October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, I also want to remind every one out there that it is not always money that you have to donate in order to make a difference. Of course money is great but donate old clothes/food/toys, donate time. Whatever you can afford to donate - it makes a difference. As a university student, working full time, living on a budget I had to get creative with how I was going to make a difference and I encourage you all to do the same.
Whether you are impacted by Cancer, Alzheimer's, or SIDS, or feel inclined to help places like The Children's Hospital, or a Homeless Shelter, the options are endless - I whole-heartedly encourage every single one of you to get creative (or not) and donate what YOU can afford. It all makes a difference.
There will always be another Monday Night Football Game, A Friday night for drinks with friends, another hour to do homework, but you can always make more money, you already have too many clothes and hair grows back. Dreams, breasts, lives - they don't.
![]() |
| October 22, 2012 - Pre-Cut |
![]() |
| October 22, 2012 - Post Cut |
![]() |
| October 22, 2013 - It's Just Hair |
*If anyone in Manitoba is looking for something to do this Sunday October 27th (1-5pm), a friend of mine and his family are hosting a Charity Fundraiser to raise awareness about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) at Norberry-Glenlee Comm. Center (26 Molgat Ave.) I attended the event two years ago and not only is it for a great cause but it's also an excellent place to start your Christmas/Holiday shopping.
For more information: www.emptyarms.ca



No comments:
Post a Comment