If you asked me, as many people do, what is
the most interesting, or most beautiful, or funnest, or educating, or best place
that I have been thus far I have a different response for each category:
Interesting - Salem, MA
Beautiful - Prince Edward Island - the entire
island.
Funnest - Disney World
Educating - D.C.
Best - Nashville, TN
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a die-hard
country music fan and I could not live with myself if I were to travel around
North America and not stop in Nashville. Going in, I had the
excitement of knowing I was going to encounter a ton of history and lots of
country music. Leaving, let me tell you, there's so much more.
While I was in Nashville I visited The Country
Music Hall of Fame and The Grand Ole Opry. Two places that hold a tremendous
amount of significance in the country music community. I went in excited to see
the costumes and memorabilia, read some history, take some pictures. I walk
away with such a tremendous, new found respect for country music it's
astounding. I truly didn't think it was possible.
Since 1961, only 121 people - musicians,
songwriters, singers, producers, etc. have been inducted into the Country Music
Hall of Fame. Of those members, only 16 are women. From one floor to the next
every inch of the building is covered in history - how country music began, the
inductees, costumes, memorabilia, music, videos, even Elvis
Presley's car! It's absolutely breathtaking and incredible to see
accomplishment, after accomplishment of the country music community. What is
even more exciting, to me, was to see the wide range in people visiting the
museum. There were everyone from "old-timers" to
"teeny-boppers" and even young children.
During my tour of The Opry, they show a brief video of artists like Carrie Underwood, Josh Turner, and Trace Adkins - to name a few - receiving their invitation to join The Grand Ole Opry. It is Opry tradition that the invite come in some unexpected/surprise manner - like Trace Adkins reading a tweet from The Opry to Blake Shelton (as Blake stands beside him, unknowingly, on stage) on the night of the first show back in The Opry House after the devastating flood of 2010, "Country Comes Home". The reactions, the emotions, they are absolutely incredible. Whether they started on a reality show, or lucked into a slot when someone else didn't show up, or whether they played hundreds of shows in any venue that would let them until they were discovered, being inducted or invited to become a member of either of these two exclusive country clubs is incredible and such a tremendous achievement.
In 2010, Nashville was devastated by a flood and The Grand Ole Opry was significantly damaged. The first thing that was saved from The Opry was the infamous circle (of the stage) that has been a part of The Opry stage since the very beginning. It has been moved each time The Opry relocated. Near the end of our tour, the guide informed us that we would have the opportunity to go on stage and step on that coveted circle where hundreds of legends, hundreds of stars, and hundreds of up-and-coming artists have stood as well. Standing in the same place that people such as Johnny Cash, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Willie Nelson, Keith Urban, and countless others have played. Well, I'm tearing up just as I write this. It was such an incredible and special experience.
If only for a couple days, for a couple hours, I had a glimpse into the lives of these country music legends and the intoxicating atmosphere that is Nashville, Tennessee - that was a dream come true.
| The Black Line Represents The Water Level From The 2010 Flood. |

No comments:
Post a Comment