I've been on the road for three solid days of driving now: Clear Water Bay to Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie, and Sault Ste. Marie to Ajax. For those of you that do not follow me on Twitter (@laur008) or are not my friend on Facebook, you've missed a few witty updates. Like, for example, the old man that asked me how the fishing situation was at a rest stop ... as I sat eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I've had to stop for a deer, kept a close eye on a little red fox at the side of the highway, fed some seagulls, and most entertainingly watched a couple black bears sprint across the highway - one of which made a point of looking both ways before crossing. The scenery along Lake Superior on HWY 17 is absolutely stunning, which is probably why it took me so long to get from one place to the next. I had to stop and take pictures! Aside from the wildlife and stunning view, there are a few things that have come to my attention and I would really like some answers, Ontario.
In Winnipeg we have a few different license plates on our cars. But they are either sports teams themed (Jets, Goldeyes, Bombers), veterans, or the standard "Friendly Manitoba". Why then, Ontario, are some of your license plates blue and some black? I'm mostly curious about this because it made trying to decipher where other travellers were from a little more difficult - B.C.? Ontario? Quebec? Oh well, it isn't life or death.
Ontario, you do an awesome job of reminding drivers about safety via gigantic billboards on the side of the road - seat belts save lives, don't drink and drive, fatigue kills, etc. These signs told me over and over how much my fine would be for speeding and always reminded me that large trucks need more room, duh. Thanks for the reminder, signs, but those all seem to be fairly strait forward safety tips. What lacks clarification, however, is the following: you post literally 5 million signs about watching out for Moose .... at night. 1) OBVIOUSLY not a single moose will attempt to cross the street during the day, they know better than that. and 2) WHAT SHOULD I DO IF A MOOSE DOES CROSS THE ROAD? I know deer are basically terrified of their own shadows so as long as you slow down and let them cross, lay on the horn a few times if necessary, they run. But a moose? Those guys are big. I feel like they would see me and my horn as a threat and charge. So, signs, thanks for informing me of the totally new information that seat belts save lives but maybe a little crash course on moose safety wouldn't hurt.
Finally, my biggest annoyance of all - a picture of a picnic table on a sign the size of a piece of paper is NOT sufficient information for someone to distinguish the contents of a rest stop. I thought at first there was maybe some code - the ones with a blue background had a washroom, the ones with a brown background didn't. That theory was shut down quick.
Maybe it was the opposite?
Nope.
I went to three different rest stops with a bladder that was about to rupture and the only thing awaiting me was LITERALLY a picnic table. After the third stop I gave up and wasn't gonna trust those bad boys again. Made sure to keep my eyes open for a gas station. Then another rest stop came up. In my anger I sped past it without even considering slowing down. Low and behold, I could see the washroom from the highway.
So, Ontario, if anyone out there has answers to any of my questions please share.
For now, Ontario, at least you're pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment