Monday, 12 August 2013

Lake Life

I've spent the last four days at Clearwater Bay, Ontario with some of the kindest people I am lucky enough to know. Aside from the given that Lake of The Woods is a stunning place to be, it was an incredible experience. From the moment I arrived there was a clear sense of calm and relaxation in the air - and I'm not talking about the weather or the water. It's almost as if the moment I stepped out of my car I crossed this imaginary threshold from reality to Pleasantville.

All the stress and worries of normal, every day life had some how escaped the realities of lake life. Whether you have two exams coming up, a new university semester starting in a couple of weeks, a rent cheque due in two days, or an ailing family member back at home - it doesn't matter. There is no such thing as worry at the lake.

Aside from the escape, picture yourself gliding across the open water, mist spraying in the air with every wave you intersect, sun beaming down on your head.  Suddenly, another boat goes by, a group of complete strangers. And they wave to you! Then it happens again. And again. And before you know it you find yourself scanning the shoreline in search of any sign of human life whatsoever just so that you yourself can join in the hospitality and friendliness that a simple wave invites. There is an overwhelming sense of acceptance at the lake. Whether you're brand new or have been going for decades, it's the place where nobody knows your name yet everyone is your friend. It's incredible. Odds are you are never actually going to meet majority of the people that you wave at. But the act itself is enough. Because for one brief and fleeting moment you were friends.

My hope is that the lake life attitude could transcend the threshold back into reality and we could all bring a little more of the friendliness home and take it with us every where we go. So to Clearwater Bay, it's residents, and my gracious hosts - Stephanie and The Maceks: thank you for a wonderful first stop on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment