Eighteen days; that's how long I spent exploring Ontario. Seven; that's how many cities I stopped in along the way.
Seven to ten years; that's how long it's been since I've seen some of the people I connected with throughout those eighteen days.
If you think about all the time throughout your life, throughout the day that you spend saying goodbye to people. Friends, family, even complete strangers. It's a custom, part of our everyday vocabulary that comes so natural we don't even have to think about it and unless we know the person - even then, we rarely think about the hellos and the next time we'll see them. I know I never did.
Five years ago Lauren and I worked together at a little paint your own pottery studio in Winnipeg, MB. We worked together for less than a year. And when she left Winnipeg in 2008 for Toronto for University we said goodbye.
Seven (or eight) years ago Sylvia was the dynamic, friendly, charismatic Ontarion that showed up in my English class in high school. Sylvia was, and still is, unforgettable. But seven (or eight) years ago probably on the last day of school we said goodbye.
Ten years ago Brittany started grade nine with me in Winnipeg only to move to Burlington, Ontario a few months into the school year. Again, only after a few months of friendship we had to say goodbye.
Three goodbyes with three short time friends. To be honest, goodbyes I never thought would be met with another hello. I haven't seen these girls and some I haven't even talked to much since the last time we saw one another but the selflessness of all three of them has been astounding. A few weeks ago when I posted on my Facebook page that I would be starting my travels East not a single one of these girls missed a beat at opening up their homes to me. The kindness, generosity, and companionship these three offered to what, realistically, was more or less a stranger, will never be forgotten and I truly hope that one day I am able to return the favour. You know, once I get home, then work my way out of debt and can finally offer up a place of my own to you as well.
Before I end the chapter of this adventure that was Ontario I have to share one of the single most heartwarming series of events I witnessed in the last eighteen days:
I spent the night in Ajax, Ontario and decided to go for breakfast. So, being resourceful, I searched restaurants in my GPS and when no recognisable names came up I decided the one called "24 hour breakfast" was a safe choice.
Select.
Go.
Start new route.
Drive.
You are arriving at your destination.
Sit down at a table. It looked to be one of those family owned restaurants that when you order the $5 breakfast special it's actually enough food to feed you and three friends - I'm not complaining, I'm on a budget here people. As I sat eating my breakfast I noticed the table directly across from me, comprised of three older people. One in a wheelchair, one with a walker, and one more mobile. I could tell by the communication between these three guests and the waitress that they were regulars of this 24 hour breakfast place. So I sat, and discretely watched as the waitress came back time and time again to refill coffee, bring more ketchup, bring more jam, another knife - without even being asked. She knew the customers orders and how they wanted their eggs. And when it was time to bring the bill.... drum roll...
She brought them three lollipops.
Nobody else got lollipops. Nobody. The look on these three customers faces was priceless. I'm fairly certain I even let out an "aww" at my table. It is one of the most precious acts I have ever witnessed and a perfect example of people doing good for no other reason than they can. The three got up, gigantic smiles on their faces, lollipops in hand, and proceeded to make their way out of the emergency exit - because they were clearly VIPs they were allowed to use the emergency exit as it was closer to their car.
I left Ajax with a smile on my face and so did these three customers simply because the waitress that had been working since 3am decided to give three seniors lollipops.
Au Revior, Ontario!
No comments:
Post a Comment