Saturday, 31 August 2013

Friendricton

Randy is a twenty-five year old construction worker. He's quiet and speaks french with his friend Geoff but later joins in conversation with me.

Elroy is an older man, a regular at Pier 23, that sits and sips his beer, eats his wings, and makes casual conversation.

Terry is a middle-aged, dynamic man that gave me the privilege of taking in the best rant I have ever seen someone have over a piece of technology.

Friendly stranger #1, his son, and his employee (I cannot remember their names) are in town for "jeeping".  They throw a few of my beers on their tab and they sit and enjoy casual conversation with a lone girl from Winnipeg.

WINNIPEG? What are ya doin' here all the way from WINNIPEG?!

In Fredericton, many people speak a hybrid of French and English so much so that they don't realize that they are doing it. I am not referring to the practise that you encounter with a lot of French-Speaking people of the world where they switch to English only for words in which there is no French equivalent or when they switch to French for privacy. No. In Fredericton there is an endearing quality to the way in which the people, unconsciously, speak this Frenglish hybrid (not quite a creole). Between the Eastern accent and the Frenglish hybrid I had a difficult time understanding the exact words coming out of my new friends mouths but I never had a problem understanding the message. Although I didn't know what they were saying, the manner in which they said it told me enough. Randy, Elroy, Terry, and the trio of strangers kept me company over the last few nights in Fredericton. They didn't hesitate on giving me travel tips or hold back on telling me where to skip going even though they are claimed to be "touristy" spots. Thanks guys for all your help! 

Tanya is the bartender at Pier 23. She is currently on a six-day stretch. She has four teenagers at home and has been working at Pier 23 for at least eight years. Pier 23 isn't the busiest place - which surprised me because as you'll soon find out, it has a comfortable atmosphere, it is reasonably priced, and it provides outstanding service. 

For three nights Tanya chatted with me, gave me more tips on places to go, and very importantly, places to avoid. Tanya also may (or may not) have given me the friends and family discount. Essentially, she hung out with me. Some of you may be thinking that she was doing it for the tips, or "she's in customer service, that's her job." Well yeah, you are correct. But I challenge you to ask yourselves how many times you've gone out to a bar, restaurant, mall, grocery store, etc. in the last few weeks where you can truly say that you received the service you were expecting because it was that person's job?

An expectation is one thing. A thing that doesn't always happen. Tanya provided me with one of the best experiences I have ever had at any restaurant/bar/pub I have ever been to and that's because she was approachable, friendly, and welcoming. She took care of me but wasn't afraid to start and maintain a conversation. I like to think I made a friend.

For the hospitality, service, and all around friendliness of everyone in Friendricton, and especially Tanya: thank you for having me. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey I've always wanted to check it out but if you are heading to one of these places do the magnetic hill. It's extremely boring I'm sure but just to say you did it would be cool! Lol.
    Moncton, New Brunswick: Magnetic Hill.[7]or Bridgetown, Nova Scotia: on Hampton Mountain Road 1 km (0.6 mi) north of Valleyview Provincial Park.[11]

    ReplyDelete