Saturday, 30 August 2014

Special Occasions: Part 3

There are plenty of things in life you can prepare for. A trip? Make a packing list. Throwing a party? Divide and conquer on supplies, plans, and invite list. A job interview? Prepare answers to questions that will likely be asked. There are also millions of things in this world that we cannot prepare for, no matter how much we may think we're ready for.

Last week I learnt of the passing of a beautiful young woman that I had the extreme pleasure of meeting, and being befriended by in my travels. Before I move on to part three, and the final instalment of this series on special occasions, I refuse to do so without paying my respects. I couchsurfed with Tachnee and Joshua in Clovis, California near the end of March. It was one of those stops on my trip that was in-between the big cities. One of those stops that many people would ask, why? And if my explanations of how the places you have no expectations for have not yet convinced you of the benefits, and experiences, and incredulity of the need to visit these why (?!) places: look no further than this.

What could have been an easily over-looked stop allowed me the privilege of meeting an incredible woman, her beautiful daughter, her fur-babies, her boyfriend, her life. And in the short few days that I knew her she left her mark. A kindness, a friendship, a contagious personality, a beautiful soul that my reaction to learning of her passing caught even me off guard.  Tachnee was a beautiful woman inside and out. And although I only knew her a few days, it is a testament to the woman that she was and this incredible journey I've had, that I can say without a doubt that the world has lost one of the good ones.

To Tachnee's friends and family, I am so sorry for your loss. I am so grateful to have met your daughter, friend, mother, sister, aunt, and girlfriend. Thank you for sharing her.







When I think back on my North America Project, there are few things that come to mind as highlights more than the people that I've met. In part one of this series you read about the incredible friends and family that took me in. In part two you read of the strangers, the couchsurfers that opened up their home to a stranger. While I still cannot find a way to convey just how thankful I am to both these groups, there is one last group I need to acknowledge: new friends.

You owed me nothing. We met in passing. Or at a hostel. Or through pure and utter randomness. But, nonetheless, we met. And I asked nothing of you yet you still gave me your friendship. In times when I may have been lonely. Or lost. Or scared. Maybe I was bored. Or tired. Whatever it may have been, you offered up your friendship and you are some of my favourite memories of all. In one of my very first on-road posts of this entire journey I wrote of the microcosm of lake life. And how incredible it would be if we could transport this willingness to befriend a stranger into our everyday lives. How lucky am I to have been able to experience this. In real life, these special occasions. 

Tanya (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada): you befriended me in Fredericton, NB. It may have been your job. You had to be there. But you'll probably never read this. And you'll probably never know just how grateful I am, and how grateful I was to meet someone that was willing to simply talk with me after a traumatic night of driving.

Akira (Montreal, Quebec, Canada): you were the first face I saw at the first hostel I ever stayed at and, man, am I thankful. We were both having a bad day, but within a few hours we were having a little jam session - you on guitar, me singing. I've heard it's the little things in life that make the big difference, and my friend, this made all the difference that day.


Karen (St. George, Maine, USA): meeting you was serendipitous. At a moment when I welcomed a breath of fresh air into my current situation, there you were. You and your art, your fish. And seeing your process, how much it mirrored mine with writing was confirmation that, perhaps, I was on the right track.

Ali and Isabel (St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England): oh you two beautiful souls. I met you on my first stop in Nashville (because if you haven't figured it out by now, I loved Nashville so much that I went back twice). The first time I saw you, you both were sitting quietly in the corner of the hostel but your presence was screaming at me. A few words were exchanged and I am forever grateful that they were. Two of the funnest, most outgoing, unique individuals I had the pleasure of meeting.


James and Carl (Somewhere in England): another duo I met in Nashville, the first time 'round. So chill, so nonchalant when the usual repertoire of questions on where they have travelled came up. Instead of listing places, they'd simply hand you their passports. Full passports. Of countries they've visited. Oh, and did I mention it was all done in eight months? Talk about inspiring an adventure, a wanderlust. 

Graham (Minnesota, USA): you were this goofy, easy going guy that just always seemed to be around. But it was never in a bad way. You always rounded out the group and were such a fun person to have around, I look forward to seeing you again! 

Ailie (Perth, Scotland): there is so much I could say about Ailie. We met in Nashville, roomed together in the hostel and for the next two weeks we were inseparable. From exploring New Orleans, visiting Graceland, and shooting our first guns together in Texas I had such a thorough blast with you. I'll never forget when I dropped you off at the Greyhound station in Austin. It took us both a minute to comprehend that there was a very real possibility that this would be the last time we would see one another for the rest of our lives. It still seems unreal. You're a beauty in every sense of the word and one day I will make it to Scotland to reunite, I promise.


Chloe, Amanda, Nick, and Quentin (Illinois and Michigan, USA): I walked into the hostel in Nashville (second trip) around 11p.m. after sitting through a four-hour taping of the CMT Country Christmas Special, which was incredible by the way. I asked: is anyone going out tonight that wouldn't mind a stranger tagging along? Celebrating a 21st birthday and waiting for the clock to strike midnight these four welcomed me without hesitation. It didn't matter where we went that night (or the next). These four were the epitome of fun. And welcoming. I felt like I had known them my entire life. Like I was heading out for a night with my friends back in Winnipeg and that is a feeling you can't put a price on. 



Claire and Dustin (Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia & Sharon, Pennsylvania, USA): somehow, we all ended up staying with the same host in Roswell, NM and I could not have been more grateful to see these two faces. Friendly, patient, inclusive I had such an incredible time getting to know you both. We shared our laughs and had a blast exploring the Carlsbad Caverns with you and comparing travel routes and notes. 



Beth and Jem (Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, England): without a doubt, two people that I became closest with on my travels and afterwards. Two all-around, simply incredible people. Fun, funny, educated, adventurous souls that I am so, so lucky to be able to call my friends. There are not enough adjectives in the dictionary to describe these two and I cannot wait for the day that they tell me they're coming to visit Winnipeg or the day that I can tell them that I am going to visit them in England. Until we meet again, we'll always have: well, there's really too many brilliant memories to sum them all up. But, perhaps, my favourite will be our version of the Las Vegas buffet. 


Nicola (Auckland, New Zealand): you're truly living the dream, girl. Working for Disney cruise lines and having your super-duper all access passes to Disney World/Disneyland is something I am truly envious of. I am so happy that by some stroke of luck you and I roomed together in Vegas. Circus Circus, trying to find your hostel in L.A., and two full days at Disneyland are some of my favourite memories. Thank you for fulfilling a dream and allowing me to visit Disneyland with you.


Joel, Matt, and Troy (New South Wales, Australia): there will never be another dance-off I witness in my life that will stack up to the one I saw from these three in  Las Vegas. Just an all-around fun group of guys. I eagerly wait to see the next picture of their current travels pop up on my Facebook news feed so that I can live vicariously. 


Juliet (Santa Cruz, California, USA): cousin of Beth and Jem and tour guide in San Francisco. Such an easy-going, fun girl. I am so happy that I had the chance to meet you and get to experience a true Californian. Legs for days, personality for miles thank you for the memories.


Jenny, Drew, Shen, Mike, et. al. (Portland, Oregon, USA): if you've read any of my previous posts about Portland and the amazingly fun group of girls that I stayed with there you should know that their friends are equally as awesome and welcoming. I'll never forget the Mascraigger. 

Justine and Mick (Quebec, Canada): we all couchsurfed at the same house in Kelowna, B.C. You two were a breath of fresh air. So ready for an adventure and eager to learn more English. I had an absolute blast with you and love keeping in touch. 


Flo and Mike (Brussels, Belgium and Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom): we met simply because we had a friend in common. I had such a fantastic time getting to know the both of you and exploring Edmonton with you. I keep my fingers crossed that we will see each other again when you head back through Winnipeg in the fall. 


For offering up your friendship, for helping me make priceless memories - no matter what my bank account may say, for your willingness to accept a complete stranger at face-value: thank you.

How lucky am I.



No comments:

Post a Comment