Monday, 28 July 2014

Special Occasions: Part 2

Since I've been back in Winnipeg, I've become more aware of the fact that people here tend to err on the side of negativity. What exactly do I mean by that? To be clear, I'm not referring to everyone. Just, somehow, I've found myself in a new setting where I am constantly forced to consume the exact type of news stories that I set out on this journey trying to over shadow. The "go with the gun", "if it bleeds it leads" stories. Again, what do I mean? I'm not sure if it's because people like to gossip or because they like to talk about how awful a place this world is. I'm not sure if it makes them feel better after relaying yet another news story to me about abused animals, the latest string of robberies, or fatal car accidents. I'm not sure if it does, but it sure doesn't make me feel any better about the rest of my day.

On the other end of the spectrum, lately my social media feeds have been sprinkled with stories being shared under the topic of "faith in humanity restored." Whether it be a stranger finding an item in the grocery store that you were unable to find yourself, someone mailing a wedding invitation to the correct address because it was sent to them in error, or four young elementary school girls baking over 700 cupcakes to raise money for veterans, these "faith in humanity restored" posts sound like they are absolutely shocking to the people that have had them happen. Why? Because these aren't the type of stories we hear about, read about every day. We're not used to them. Therefore, when they happen they seem surreal.

Every day we are bombarded, force-fed, and put in a virtual choke-hold by stories about the bad. The stuff that makes us scared. The stories that make parents tell their kids, "see, you just can't be too careful anymore." Yet, at the end of the day, I choose not to be scared. I choose not to consume these stories. If I must consume them, I choose not to share them. Because why ruin someone elses day? I choose to not be scared or buy into this culture of fear we have allowed to become so prominent because I have seen, and witnessed first-hand the remarkable selflessness and kindness that this scary, scary world has to offer.

This is the part where I try and thank a group of strangers for taking me into their homes, treating me like family, and helping make my dreams come true. Couchsurfers, if you haven't figured it out yet, are some of the most special people in the world. And I am so grateful that I was able to become a part of this extraordinary community. So, if your Monday morning isn't looking so bright. And you absolutely need a reason to hashtag #FaithInHumanityRestored, this would be it.

Charlottetown, PEI:  Bob, you were my very first CS experience. While I was a little more at ease because I had my new friend Jana with me, you still made us feel right at home. When you were unable to host us for more than one night, that didn't stop you from offering up a list of tips and suggestions for the best things to do in Charlottetown. When we did finally meet up, we could immediately tell that CS is a passion for you. From your map on your wall with hundreds of pins poking out (to represent the places that all your couchsurfers have hailed from), to the guest book, right down to the crepe breakfast you made for us in the morning. I simply cannot thank you enough for making my first CS experience a positive one. I can say without a doubt that had this not been such a great experience I probably would never have tried to CS again for the rest of my trip. And that would have meant missing out on meeting the following list of incredible folks. So, Bob, thank you!
The most Eastern Point of Canada

Anne of Green Gables House, PEI

Antigonish, NS: Where? Sarah, Rufus, and Leydy took Jana and I in for a night when we were travelling in Nova Scotia on our way to Cape Breton Island. Another early CS experience that I could not have had go any better. We hung out and socialized, made dinner, and simply got to know one another. Again, the next morning we were treated to a home-made breakfast. Sarah, thank you for taking us into your home and sharing all your incredible travel stories.

Baddeck, NS: Allison hosted Jana and I as we were still travelling together at this point. Now, some of you may remember hearing a story that involved a moose. For those of you that haven't here's the short version: I almost hit a moose. Jana was excited to drive the Cabot Trail. But, since I was still shaken up from the whole moose encounter, I wasn't overly thrilled to spend a few hours driving around the Cabot Trail - two lane highway, lots of switchbacks and winding roads, lots of wildlife. Allison, however, convinced me that it was something that I needed to do without actually pressuring me. And I am forever grateful that she did because that drive, as shaky as I was at the beginning, helped me to get past those nerves but that drive also made for some of the most stunning pictures of my entire trip. Allison, for having me and your encouragement, thank you!
Stunning view of The Cabot Trail
Burlington, VT: Kristina was my first American CS host. I can truly say this was one of the first places that I walked into and from the word "go" it felt like we had known each other our entire lives. Kristina was an amazing host. I loved playing with her little fur-baby Nylah. From taking me on a tour of downtown Burlington, to recommending activities that I could do while she was at school and work, to virtually giving me free run of her apartment, Kristina was absolutely incredible. When you're on the road it's the simple things like being able to use a kitchen, or having an hour to sit and watch TV, that make you feel like you belong. I cannot thank you enough for that. Furthermore, I can also say that I have done something "very Vermont" and that is: going apple picking. Thank you Kristina!

Kissimmee, FL: I've gone on and on over Facebook and in person about the family that literally made one of my biggest dreams come true. Ever since I can remember I've wanted to go to Disney World. This was the number one reason why I was excited to be in Florida and I went in knowing that this excursion was one that was going to break the budget. Yet, somehow, I'm not quite sure how, I lucked out. I beyond lucked out. But I'm not sure there is a better word to use. April, Joe, and their daughter Ana hosted me in Kissimmee. They not only fed me home-cooked meals, took me to Gatorland, and welcomed me into their home. These strangers. These three people that I had only known a couple days, have left a memory with me that I will have my entire life. A story of true selflessness that I am still absolutely taken back by. These are the kind of things that happen to other people. The kinds of things you hear about. April made it possible so that I could go to Disney World for free. Just thinking about it right now I get goosebumps. Because I remember, as twenty-five year old, walking through the gates and choking back tears of disbelief that I was finally in this magical place that I had only been able to dream about. And this amazing family made it possible. April, Joe, Ana for your hospitality, kindness, and just all around incredible humanity, thank you.
Ana and I at Gatorland

The moment my dreams came true.
When I was in Kissimmee, I also stayed with a fun CS host named Roan. Since April and her family had a friend coming to visit from out of town I wasn't able to stay with them my entire time in Florida. Roan was the second host that opened up her beautiful home to me. Roan took me for my first ever Panera Bread experience, we went for frozen yogurt, saw a movie, and she took me to something called "Nerd Night". I had such a fun time with Roan and it was so nice to do some "normal" activities for a couple days rather than playing tourist all the time. Thank you for showing me around and for having me Roan! 

St. Louis, MO: Allie, Allie, Allie. The most patient host of all. It was on the way to STL that my phone decided it wanted to self destruct. Frantic and frustrated I communicated with her via e-mail (on my laptop, when I was stopped at a rest-stop in Iowa that had wifi - because rest stops in Iowa have wifi, FYI). After a nine hour day of driving and two more hours spent at the most useless Apple store I have ever encountered, I showed up to her place defeated. Without a word I was handed a glass of wine. And in that moment, I knew we would be friends. Allie was an amazing host. While I was only there for two days. And spent a lot of that time in self pity dealing with my first-world-problems, Allie managed to distract me long enough by taking me for a private tour of The Fox Theatre, to one of the sculpture gardens in STL, to an art museum, and for a delicious lunch at Fitz's. For being incredible, patient, an amazing tour guide, and great host, thank you Allie! 
In Front of The Gateway Arch

Exploring STL

 Birmingham, AL: Easily one of the most memorable CS experiences I had on my trip. Sonny and Michael were hospitable. They included me in various events that they had already committed to - a piano concert at the art museum and a symphony performance. As well, Sonny showed me some of the sights like The Alabama Theatre, Vulcan Park, and a delicious little bakery. While we may have had conflicting views on some of those "hot button" issues like politics, religion, race, etc., I am grateful for the experience and most importantly, am at a loss for words at being able to experience The Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham. Still, a much better way to spend an afternoon than at those botanical gardens you were pushing for. Thank you for your hospitality, and a truly educating experience. 
A view of Birmingham from Vulcan Park

New Orleans, LA: Lasting impressions. My experience in NOLA can be summed up in those two words. My host Sara and her two roommates - Jamie and Kat are just all around outstanding human beings. These three girls made me feel right at home. They opened up to me about experiences in their lives and in Nola, especially during Katrina. Sara took me around and played tourist with me on her day off. We explored, or trespassed rather, the famously abandoned Six Flags, we had a sobering experience driving around the Lower Ninth Ward, and she took me to experience my first ever Hand Grenade - a famous drink served on the equally famous Bourbon Street. It would be impossible to sum up the lasting impressions I have from this stop. But these three girls, my hosts, made it what it was. And for that I am grateful. You may also want to keep an eye out for these three as they're all actresses and if their acting skills are what I suspect them to be (awesome) and anywhere near as on par with their incredible personalities, it will only be a matter of time before you spot one of them on your own television. Thank you Sara, Jamie, and Kat for a truly memorable experience! 
Enjoying a world-famous Hand Grenade!

Abandoned Six Flags, NOLA

Edmond, OK: Kortnee is the epitome of hospitality. Her boyfriend Ethan and her took me in short notice for a single night. That night also happened to be (American) Thanksgiving. Without hesitation they had me join them for dinner and truly made me feel like part of the family. Kortnee, being the selfless person that she is, also gave up her own bed for the night and slept on the couch so that I could have a bed to sleep in. It doesn't get any kinder than that. Since I met Kortnee and Ethan back in November, they've gotten married and I love keeping up to date with their lives via social media. It may have only been one night but it was a fantastic one with plenty of positive memories. Kortnee and Ethan, thank you for your kindness and letting this Canadian girl take part in your Thanksgiving feast! 

Wichita, KS: Before we had even met, one of the first things Case messaged me was that the day I would be arriving was $3 martini night at their favourite karaoke bar, would I be interested in going. My response: I think we just became best friends. Wichita was one of those stops that I made that kind of confused people. Why Wichita? Well, why not. I met some incredible people, made some incredibly fun memories, I was able to explore an extremely cool museum, and I got to discover one of my favourite zoos. Wichita might not be the first destination on your wish list but because of my incredible hosts - Case, Logan, and their pup Sebastian, it was an absolute blast. Thank you for having me guys! 

Swift Current, SK: Back in Canada and on the road again - this time heading west. Emily was my first host on the second leg of this journey. I remember my night in Swift Current and my brain wants to say that it was a holiday. But, really, it was just Superbowl Sunday. As we watched Seattle absolutely destroy Denver, I sat around the dinner table with a family I had just met. Hours after meeting and I was being welcomed to Sunday-night family dinner as if I had known this family my entire life. For making me feel like part of the family and a great experience in SK, thank you Emily (and family)!

Missoula, MT: As I get further and further down this list I realize that I've wanted to start almost every section with "this was one of my favourite places/experience/hosts". And it's not untrue. But clearly, I can't just be throwing around the term favourite for everyone. That just goes to show how incredible these people are that I was lucky enough to meet. And Brenda and Austin are no exception. Home-made dinners from scratch, game nights, wine tastings, and cuddles from their fur babies - Ruby and Dee are some of my highlights from this stop. However, one of the funniest/classic Lauren moments happened when I was with Austin and Brenda as well. These two were so excited by my trip and my goal to hit every state that they went out of their way to drive me to Idaho so that we could go hiking to the hot springs and so that I was able to check another state of my list. Great idea. Let me skip past the details and outline a valuable lesson I learned: Ugg boots are not meant for hiking in the mountains. Or anywhere. Or anything that requires traction, really. I may have ended the day absolutely covered in snow and with a little bit of a limp and sore knee, but I would do it all over again. Brenda and Austin, thank you for an incredible stay, for your friendship, and for making me feel welcome. I am so grateful to have met two incredible people like you! 
Ruby and Dee

Laramie, WY: Laramie was another one of those "why here" places. People are kind of confused. They've never heard of it. And to be honest there wasn't a TON of exploring to do. But, it's not always about playing tourist. It's about experiences. And people. And John and Candace are two absolutely incredible people that I was fortunate enough to meet. I also got to know their four, four-legged friends pretty well too, Suda, Baxter, Maggie and Toby. Candace, John, and I shared some delicious meals, I got a private tour of the fire house, and had the privilege of being with them when they announced that they were expecting! Just this past weekend, I was excited to learn via Facebook that Candace gave birth to their son, Jude and I couldn't be more excited for them. But really, I couldn't be more excited for their son because I know he was just brought into a family with two of the most incredible people. Candace and John, congratulations and thank you! I'm anxiously waiting for updates on baby Jude! 
Toby, Maggie, Suda, Baxter

Albuquerque, NM: I had zero expectations for New Mexico. And the great thing about having no expectations is that that makes it incredibly easy to walk away having an positive experience. My stay in ABQ was just that. My hosts Elisa and Getty are awesome. They took me out for some authentic New Mexican food, then got to laugh at how intolerant I was of the spice. We spent a night under the stars hanging out in the hot tub, and these two even put up with my extreme tourist day of driving around the city to take pictures of the Breaking Bad filming locations. I had such an outstanding time with these ladies I would go back in a heart beat. Thank you both so, so much for being such incredible hosts and tour guides! 
Java Joe's/Tukko's Headquarters (Season 1)

Hank and Marie's House

Dog House Drive Inn

Walter and Skylar's House

The Car wash

Jesse's House

Roswell, NM: You'll know when you get to Roswell because as soon as you arrive within city limits absolutely everything is alien-themed: the street lights, the decor on various buildings, even the McDonalds is in the shape of a UFO. That's commitment. In Roswell I stayed with Karen whom lived just outside the city on a small piece of land. Karen had a unique place in that I got there to find some unexpected roommates - chickens, a baby goat, and two llamas. Also staying with Karen at the same time were three other CSers. Together we had a blast. Making homemade dinners, visiting with the animals, and we even took a day trip to Carlsbad Caverns. Karen, thank you for having me and all your expertise in the area. If it was not for you, I never would have discovered the White Sands National Monument - one of the filming locations for TRANSFORMERS! 
UFO Museum in Roswell

Average Store Decor (Walmart)

Carlsbad Caverns
White Sands National Monument

St. George, UT: Laura hosted me in St. George and from the moment I arrived Laura wanted to make sure that I saw absolutely everything that I needed to see. She took me for a tour of the town, we walked around the older parts and saw the museum grounds. Then she took me up to climb some rocks - which is always a little nerve-wracking for a clumsy person like me. She took me to the Dixie rock and then gave me a list of things I should see or do in the area and Zion National Park happened to be one of those things. Along with making sure I didn't miss out on anything in St. George, Laura made a couple of delicious home-cooked meals. Laura, thank you for having me and being so eager to show off your city!
Rock climbing in St. George

Dixie Rock

Hiking at Zion Nat'l Park

Fresno, CA: Josh, Tachnee, Jade, Rambo, Lucifer and the snake, yes even the snake, I had an absolute wicked time. From getting to crash on a Super Mario themed bed, to having my first girl scout cookie experience, to exploring Fresno with you guys I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's funny how in one stop the memorable experience is a renowned tourist attraction and in the next it can be something as simple as going for dinner and drinks at a favourite restaurant. One of the very few regrets I have of my entire trip is not asking Josh to tattoo me (he's a tattoo artist, and absolutely incredible at that). If you ever happen to be in Fresno and are looking for a place to get a tattoo, Josh is your guy (Sins of The Flesh). Thank you so much for having me! 
Being all touristy outside The Tower Theatre in Fresno, CA

Medford, OR: Josh and Chelsea are both CSers. When I was planning my stop in Medford I sent them both a request (not knowing that they are a couple and live together). Chelsea replied and when I arrived I got two for the price of one. Which was a true deal for me. These two are absolute gems. And they take great pride in belonging to the CS community. My two night stay in Medford started with trivia night, then a quick trip and exploration of Ashland, OR - where these two tricked me into drinking some "natural" water. We then took a day trip out to Crater Lake where I saw some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. My stay ended with a movie night. I am absolutely lucky for getting to meet these two hosts and for the kindness they showed to me. Everytime I hear Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere" and he gets to the part about Crater Lake, it will always remind me of you. Thank you Chelsea and Josh for everything! 
Crater Lake

Portland, OR: Three nights that feel like yesterday. My time in Portland was phenomenal. My hosts Larissa, Angela, and Rex along with the beautiful Zara Jade (fur baby), were an absolute blast to hang out with. Again, it felt like I had known these girls my entire life. They made me feel like I belong and included me in everything that they had already had planned - including Angela's birthday. These girls are an amazing group to hang out with and I was excited to learn that they are planning their own cross-country trip. I'm excited to see where your adventure takes you and hope that you get to meet as many amazing CSers as I did. Thank you for absolutely everything and for the most memorable experience of all - The Mascraigger.
VooDoo Doughnuts, a Portland Fave!

Birthday Festivities

Kelowna, BC: Back in Canada, my last CS stop of the journey. Danielle and Johnny accepted me into their home in the blink of an eye. These two are another group that you just know CS is a big part of their lives. So much so that they need to keep a calendar in the kitchen with the days they have guests staying with them blocked off. During my stay I got to explore one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, in my opinion. Whether it was hanging out by the water front or driving around the mountains every sight is spectacular. I also was able to do one thing I have never done before and that was wine tastings at the famous wineries. I had an excellent experience in Kelowna. Thank you Danielle and Johnny for having me! 
Mission Hill Winery

Summer Hill Winery
To this day, there are many people in my life that still don't understand the concept of Couchsurfing. Yes, it's free. Yes, it's essentially staying at a strangers home. But most importantly, yes, it's awesome. After writing this post and reliving the incredible experiences I've had and the even more incredible people that I've been fortunate enough to meet it becomes absolutely clear to me that I am the lucky one. These strangers that took me in and treated me just as much like a member of their family as any one member of my family has. I am astounded at the kindness of strangers. I am overwhelmed at the hospitality. And I am grateful to become part of a community of such selfless people doing good for no reason. Thank you, each and every one of you for helping make my dreams come true.

Faith in humanity restored. 



No comments:

Post a Comment