"How is everyone doing this evening?"
"Good, thank you. And you?"
"I'm good thanks. Can I start you all off with something to drink?"
*Table places drink orders*
"Perfect. I'll be right back with those. And are we celebrating anything special this evening?"
"We are actually, Lauren is here visiting us from Winnipeg."
Lauren from Winnipeg. Our Couchsurfer from Canada. Whatever the role was I was playing that day, it just so happened that I also got the privilege of playing the role of the special occasion. And that never happens. Whether it was a waitress walking away wondering where Winnipeg was, or why a person from Canada would visit their town, I was a special occasion.
Some of you may have gotten the impression that I was done with this whole North America Project thing. And I could see where you may have gotten that idea. I mean, it has been over a month since my last post. And that can be explained very easily. I've been sitting around, procrastinating writing these posts because, as I prepare to write this series of posts it becomes clearer and clearer that this amazing journey I have had is coming to an end. A reality I have been refusing to accept.
Over the last year or so you've read posts about some of the amazing places, people, and experiences I've met, visited, and had. While I always tried to bring my selfless hosts and incredible memories to the forefront, it has been impossible for me to thank and write about absolutely everybody. For that reason, I decided weeks ago that these next three posts had to be written. It's time to pay tribute, and formally thank all the people and furry friends that made my incredible journey even remotely possible.
On that note, I pay tribute and thank the friends, family, and friends of family or friends that took me in.
Kenora, ON: the brand new Macek Family cabin. The first stop on my trip. And a great way to start nonetheless. I got to spend my last few nights around some of my favourite people in a place that is just as beautiful. For allowing me to start my journey and for showing me incredible support along the way, thank you Steph, Bryce, Brynn, and the entire Macek family!
Ajax, ON: Sylvia, Alexa, and Ben. We spent an afternoon in the sun playing in the backyard. Alexa and Ben showed me all their toys and played games with me while Sylvia and I got a chance to catch up. One of the most memorable girls from my high school in Winnipeg - even though it had been close to a decade since we last saw each other, Sylvia didn't hesitate on finding time in her busy schedule to fit this girl in for an afternoon play date! Thank you!
Toronto, ON: Lauren and I (no, I'm not referring to myself here), worked together at a pottery studio in Winnipeg back in 2008-2009. When she heard that I was coming to town she selflessly offered up the futon in her Toronto apartment to me. Again, it had been years since we had even spoken but that didn't stop this young lady from taking me in. And while she was busy with her own life - looking for a new job, plans for a friends birthday party, she selflessly gave up a few days to spend showing me around Toronto. Lauren showed me the subway and street car. She took me to the major touristy destinations. And I still, to this day, use the Blue Banana bag I bought with her at Kensington market. Lauren, Thank you!
Clare and I worked together for a couple of months at Starbucks in Winnipeg. We had always known the same people. And known of each other. But prior to Starbucks, I knew her brother - whom I went to The University of Winnipeg with, better than Clare. After only getting to know Clare a few months she moved to Toronto. When I was in town, she sacrificed a lengthy to-do list on her last night in Toronto (before she was moving back to Winnipeg) to have me over and show me a night out. I'll never forget the ringing in my ears after leaving the bar she took me to. I'll also never forget what a fun-filled, adventure we had together. Thank you Clare!
Burlington, ON: Brittany and I only spent a few months at the same school in grade 9 before she moved to Ontario. Somehow, the special people in this world still prevail. Brittany and her pup Toby, as you've read in previous posts, hosted me at her home not once but twice. The first time we spent exploring Burlington and took a day trip to Niagara Falls - where I also got to experience my first ever wax museum. The second time I stayed with Britt it was a couple days of R&R before heading back to the states. Brittany, for opening your home to someone that you hadn't seen in a decade, I am forever grateful and have a handful of fun-filled memories I'll cherish for the rest of my life. Thank you.
Manotick, ON: Just outside of Canada's capital city, Ottawa, my grandpa and Anne live in a house that I haven't seen since I was maybe four or five. They excitedly took me in, with only a few days notice, and filled my agenda with everything and anything you could ever hope to do and see in and around Ottawa. Thank you for having me, and for keeping in touch the entire way!
Halifax, NS: One place I've never been in my life and one of the first places I truly felt like a fish out of water. No contacts. No idea what to expect. Ann, her boys - Evan, James, and Geoff, and two cats - Max and Felix, took me in having never met me before. Ann knows my grandpa's Anne and she took me in over nothing more than the word of another person. I am, to this day, grateful for the kindness of your family. I have nothing but positive memories of Halifax. A place that I would have otherwise been all alone. And at an early time in my trip when a potentially negative experience being alone could have turned me around right back to Winnipeg, I am so grateful. A few things will always remind me of Ann and her boys - Candy Crush, Glee, and Pirates of The Caribbean. Thank you for the amazing experience and your selfless hospitality!
St. George, ME: Again, friends of my grandpa and Anne, Edith and Steve took me in and treated me like family. They allowed me to spend a few nights at their beautiful cottage - not to be confused with a cabin because their cottage resides on a body of water. I loved trying new foods and taking in the beautiful scenery that Maine has to offer. Thank you Steve and Edith!
Minnetonka, MN: Amber is one of my best friends. Due to the fact that she lives in Minnesota, we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like. However, my friendship with Amber is one of those rare ones. The amazing ones. We can go years without seeing one another. But the moment we're in the same room, it's as if we've never been apart. When Amber and her house hold consisting of: her sister Ashley, Ashley's fiance Paul, roommate Cam, and three little pups - Izzie, Lexie, and Bear took me in for a couple weeks it was one of the highlights of my trip. Not only was I able to spend more time with my friend than I ever had before, but I was also able to play tourist in Minnesota - tourist activities that didn't involve a trip to Mall of America, as most Winnipegger's heading to MN usually would do. Having a full house already, I am beyond grateful that I was allowed to extend such a lengthy stay with such a great group of people. For having me, and letting me be my absolutely goof-ball self, thank you!
Fargo, ND: A lot of planning goes in to setting up a surprise as big as the one that I pulled off at Christmas - surprising friends and family by showing up in Winnipeg. Casey, Cyndi, and their pup Henry hid me away in Fargo leading up to my arrival in Winnipeg - while everyone else I knew thought I was in Colorado. Thank you for having me, and helping me pull off a Christmas Miracle!
Lorette, MB: As with Cyndi and Casey, my friends Meagan and JP and pup Jasper allowed me to hide at their house in Lorette until the moment was just right for the surprise to happen. I could not have done it without you! Thank you so much!
Brandon, MB: After the holidays, on my way back out of Manitoba I had to make a pit stop in Brandon. Some of the best people I know live there. I got to spend a couple fun-filled nights with a group of girls that I don't get to see very often. And my friend Katie, an amazing friend, let me crash at her place. Katie, thank you so much for having me. And all the girls in Brandon, thank you for making every trip a fun one!
Golden, CO: Edith, James, Ellie, Greg, and Juno, you are another one of those amazing families I've been talking so much about. You took me in, short notice, on nothing other than the word of a friend. I got to explore more places than I could possibly list, I got to watch the Team Canada Olympic hockey games, and most of all, I got to act like a kid for a little while. And it was (somewhat) socially acceptable. I have nothing but fond memories of Golden and Denver and that is solely because of your kindness. Thank you, all of you, for the incredible memories!
Avon, CO: Lise is one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. Ever. We went to high school together, were on sports council together, and whenever I'd bump into her around the city she was nothing but kind. Turns out, Lise decided she wanted to marry a boy from Texas and move to Colorado. Lucky for me, I managed to reconnect with her and they took me in as I travelled through Colorado. A lot of people might ask, what is there to do in a ski-resort town for someone that doesn't ski, doesn't snowboard, and is an all-around winter-sport klutz? Well, there's not a lot. But Lise and Bryan helped me find enough places to explore, drove me around some of those terrifying mountain roads just so I could get some amazing photos, and spent some down-time together watching the Olympics. Lise and Bryan, and my furry friends Charlie and Arthur, thank you for offering up your home and for being such amazing hosts!
Mesa, AZ: When I grow up I want to "winter" in Arizona. This year, I got to do just that. My aunt and uncle spend a few weeks in Arizona during the winter and offered me a place to stay while I was in town. It was a nice change of pace from the usual "winging-it" style I had come to know. With them, we actually had home cooked meals, went out exploring with purpose, and I even got to take advantage of some of the amenities - hot tub, pool. Don't get me wrong, I clearly loved the winging-it parts of this trip or I would have never survived. But, seeing some familiar faces, knowing I had a bed to sleep in for a few nights and was able to take advantage of all the luxuries, it was a welcomed change. I am so grateful for the opportunity. Thank you Auntie Dorothy and Uncle David!
Garden Grove, CA: In the heart of the OC, not more than fifteen minutes from any ocean side beach, a few more family members took me in for a week. I've been calling them my aunt and uncle because it's easier that way. But they're really my grandma's cousins. No matter the relation, they're truly selfless people. Whether it was showing me around, suggesting which beaches to visit, a night out to dinner, or laughing at my ridiculous sun burnt legs after I fell asleep on the beach, I had such an incredible time and amazing first taste of what California had to offer. It is because of these two incredible people. Alice, Tom, and Yuki, thank you!
Coquitlam, BC: Sarah and I went to the same high school in Winnipeg. We were never best friends. We never called each other up to hang out. We were on the volleyball team together one year. We got along. But we were never super close. That's why, I am astounded at the kindness Sarah and her fiance showed to me. When I posted on Facebook that I was looking for a place near Vancouver to crash for Easter Sunday, without hesitation Sarah took me in. I had a blast at dinner with Andy's family. And it might be one of my favourite memories of my entire trip. I am so grateful that we have managed to keep in touch over the years - not just because you let me sleep at your house (haha), but because it's this kindness, and people like you and Andy that are worth keeping in touch with. Thank you!
Vancouver, BC: I said it before, I was never a huge fan of Vancouver. I know, I'm the only person in all of Canada. But I can say that I've left, this time, with a better taste in my mouth. It might have something to do with the incredible home-cooked meals miss Kacie made. Or the delicious Greek dinner Steve's family hosted. It could be the bagels we enjoyed at Granville Island. Or the delicious fudge picked up at The Capilano Suspension Bridge gift shop. It could have been any of those things. And before you start to think that all I did in Vancouver was eat, let me just clarify: it was a positive experience because I was surrounded by great people. Kacie and Steve, thank you so much for having me at your beautiful apartment and taking me around Vancouver. For letting me play tourist and sometimes dragging you along. Thank you!
Banff, AB: In early September I stayed at my very first hostel in Moncton, NB. It was there that I met Jaimi-Lee. A fearless Australian girl that is travelling the world, one continent at a time. As my luck would have it, she had stationed herself in Banff for a few months to work during the "snow season" - or what we Canadians call winter. Nonetheless, Jaimi-Lee offered up her couch immediately when I told her I was going to be in the area. Since Jaimi-Lee was working I didn't get to spend much time with her but that didn't stop her from suggesting the most amazing and beautiful places to visit in Banff. I am truly grateful for your hospitality Jaimi-Lee. Thank you and safe travels on the rest of your adventures!
Grande Prairie, AB: Erica is one of the most inspiring, hard working people I've ever met. She works full time, she is a trainer for a hockey team in town, she runs various biking and running groups and yet she somehow still manages to have a social life, work out more than anyone I've ever met, and take in this rogue gypsy. When Erica offered me a place to stay it was followed by the question of would I be interested in barbecuing the night I arrived. Asking someone that has been on the road for months on end most of the time scrounging to even cook in a kitchen if they'd be interested in BBQ-ing is like asking a child if they want candy. The answer is yes. Always yes. As you already read, Erica has a full schedule. Yet, she somehow managed to find time to hang out with me and show me around. Her friend Jesse also took the time to take me out quading and shooting, one afternoon after work when Erica was busy. And yes, that would be shooting guns. I am so grateful that there are people like Erica and Jesse in this world because they are the type of people I want to be around. The ones that can find fun, and something to do in any situation no matter how few "attractions" there may be in a city. Jesse and Erica, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for such a great experience in GP!
Edmonton, AB: Much like Jaimi-Lee, I met Jana in Moncton last September. You may recall reading about our adventures in PEI together. Jana is such an easy-going, kind person. She took me in, even though she already had some friends staying with her at the same time. Her entire extended family also made me feel right at home when we went out to "the farm" for her cousins birthday. I had a truly unforgettable time in Edmonton and similar to my time in Minnesota, this trip did not include a trip to West Edmonton Mall. Jana, thank you to you and your family for showing such kindness and hospitality!
Camrose, AB: a few months back I followed along on Facebook as one of my favourite families packed up and moved from Teulon, MB to Camrose, AB. I've known The Carters for years. Played softball with two of three daughters, and you may remember a special man named Mason that made an appearance in an earlier post. Similar to Grande Prairie, Camrose doesn't boast a ton of tourist attractions. But that didn't stop me from spending a fun-filled two nights with The Carters. For the tour of Camrose, the dinner at one of my favourite restaurants that no longer exists in Winnipeg, for taking me in and for being a piece of home away from home, thank you so much to the entire Carter family!
Strathmore, AB: If plans had worked out, this would say Calgary, AB. But, sometimes things don't go quite as planned. When my accommodations for Calgary fell through last minute and I exhausted every possible alternate plan, I reluctantly decided that it was a sign. I was going to spend the night in my car and then pack up and head as far as I could on the way back to Manitoba the next morning. Then I heard from Taya. Taya and I played softball together for one year. We played against each other for many. But truly only got to know each other over our season together in 2007. I hadn't seen Taya since 2009 but when she heard about me being stranded in Alberta, she and her husband Jeff invited me to spend the night in their beautiful home. I'm not over exaggerating. When I pulled up I thought I was entering a castle. But all architectural feats aside, the kindness in the final hour of my pity party is absolutely why Taya is one of the most selfless people I've ever known. Taya you're such an amazing person and the world needs more of you. Jeff, it was a random way to meet, but I wouldn't change it for the world. For your kindness and life-saving skills, thank you!
Brandon, MB: And just like that I'm almost back to where I started. After ten hours of strait driving to get from Strathmore to Brandon, I pulled up at The Robertson household and was welcomed with open arms - but then we had to keep it down because Boston (Bruins) was playing. To a family that has taken me in countless times over the years it would almost be an injustice if this journey hadn't ended with you. For always giving me a home away from home, even if it's only a couple hours away, thank you!
If you've managed to get through all of that, you may be wondering what happened to all the other cities I stayed in. How about all those other people and places that I mentioned in earlier posts. Well, if you have a little patience, I'll let you know.














No comments:
Post a Comment