If there is one thing I have come to know throughout this entire trip it's that people surprise you. Whether it is a group of strangers that I have just met through couchsurfing or a classmate from high school that I may never have been incredibly close with back then - people surprise you. They surprise you with their kindness and willingness to take you in, be part of your story, and in turn let you be part of theirs.
I had some time to think over the last few days. To think about some of the people I've met recently. Or the ones I am seeing for the first time in a long time. And I think what they must tell their friends and family about me. Yeah, this girl I used to go to high school with is travelling around North America by herself and she's staying with strangers. Then the people they tell tell someone else. And before you know it, I'm a story. That crazy girl from Winnipeg that has driven over forty-three thousand kilometres (that's right I can say kilometres now because I am back in Canada) on her own. And I repeat, stays with strangers.
While I might occupy some brief story that someone shares over a cup of coffee. Or a memory they look back and reminisce upon every April when they talk about that girl from Winnipeg that joined them for family dinner on Easter. The same has to be said for how these very same people, and their kindness, and openness have become a part of my story.
It's not just specific to holidays. But I have to say, it takes a special kind of person and an exceptional kind of family to open their door and let "some random" join them for Easter dinner. Or for a delicious home-cooked Greek dinner. It takes incredible people to not only let you but encourage you to attend their birthday party and housewarming party. It takes special people to make you feel right at home, like you're part of the family or that you have been friends your entire lives. And the fact that you're sitting at the dinner table listening to Nono share camping stories from back in the day, or a family jokingly bicker with each other about the unwritten rules of appropriate wedding attire, or maybe it's trying some authentic Mexican candy after a pinata explodes all over the floor.
Whatever the scenario may be. Whether for a night or several. It takes special people to let you become part of their story while giving you the privilege of adding them to yours. From Portland to Coquitlam to Vancouver - thank you for the memories. And for becoming part of my story.
![]() |
| New friends in Portland, OR |
![]() |
| Incredible Easter Dinner in Coquitlam, BC |
![]() |
| It's the little things. |



LOVE this and so glad you've been able to meet such great people on your journey. Its hard sharing you to the world Lauren but I am so very greatful that there are good people out there taking good care of you. Take care and keep having fun!! Loves ya lady!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad to have met you even if it was for a short period of time. It's nice to meet people just as excited about life as we are. It also bring nothing but happiness and love to know that there is a world out there restoring faith in humanity. Perhaps we will meet again soon.
ReplyDeleteXoxo the girls from APT 3
(Lariss, Angela, Rex & Zara Jade)