The thing about expectations is, when you have them there are three options: they're exceeded, they're met, or they're let down. But you probably knew that already. I learnt very early on in this trip that the fewer expectations you have - for a city, for a place, for people, the less chance you have of being let down.
I heard it over and over again. I was questioned countless times. Why Wichita? Why Fredericton? Why Oklahoma City? Why? I mean, they don't really have a reputation for being the biggest of tourist attractions. There's nothing special about these places. There isn't much to do. There isn't much to see. That's what I was told. Austin is the middle stop in a triad of travel. People are either coming from or going to New Orleans or Las Vegas. You're the only person I've ever heard say they are going to Oklahoma from Texas. Why?
Why not? The thing about expectations is, when you have no expectations, when you don't listen to all the people telling you that you have to see this or that you are wasting your time by doing that, if you ignore the expectations and the warnings and head in with an open mind and ready to discover whatever may come your way you're never going to be let down. You're never going to be disappointed. You're never going to feel like you wasted your time or your money. Because you take responsibility for your choice and you find what is so special about these places. You look where others may not. You talk to people that others may have skipped over. And as a result, you experience some pretty fascinating places - like the museum of treasures, or meet some amazing people like the bartender that became your friend, or you get to experience some pretty amazing things that many other people in the world won't, like celebrating Pink Friday with Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert.
When you are influenced to back track to a place because of their world-renowned zoo and reputation for warm, sunny weather you're being influenced and led by expectations. And, if I have learnt nothing else over the last 40, 000 km of driving it's that having expectations is one of the worst things you can do when travelling.
No comments:
Post a Comment