As I mentioned in the last post I am currently in Seattle, WA. I saved the big "touristy" things to do for my big day. Sure, it may have been raining but I don't think I would have truly gotten the Seattle experience if it wasn't. I woke up early, had a quick coffee and some oatmeal and headed for the world famous Pike Place Market. Every day they put on a free walking tour at 9:30 a.m. but I had just missed it as I arrived just after 9:45, once I finally found a place to park. But, as luck would have it, the very entrance I walk through to get into the market, the walking tour was there. I got to meet up with them and walk around. We taste-tested everything from fresh fruit and apple chips to pickle juice and pepper-jellies. It was a blast. I got to see the world-famous fish throwers and the not quite as famous but still pretty cool gum wall. When the tour ended I already had two stops on my must-do list: The original Starbucks and a little Russian shop called Piroshky Piroshky.
I made a friend on the walking tour and as it turns out he wanted to go to both those places as well. And we did. We walked into that original Starbucks and were snapping pictures left, right, and centre. Then I placed my order and redeemed my free birthday drink: score! Then we headed to Piroshky Piroshky. Let me tell you, this place smelt like a dream and tasted even better. I got the potato-onion-cheese piroshky and it was breakfast in a bun and even just writing about it right now is making my mouth water. If you are ever in Seattle go out of your way if you have to. This place is worth the stop.
After these two stops I knew I wanted to walk around and explore the market more but I also wanted to head to The Space Needle. So I got directions and was on my way. It was only about a twenty-minute walk or so. But I made my way up from the market to 4th Ave. Then I couldn't remember if I was supposed to go left or right so I stopped a man and asked him. He was completely outraged that I would walk that far. Nonetheless, he pointed me in the right direction and I was back on my way. About a block from my destination a woman walked up to me and started to give me a sob story about how she had missed her bus, and it was her birthday, and was stranded and if I could give her any money.
First of all, using your birthday as a sob story doesn't work so well when the person you're using it on is actually celebrating her birthday. However, I didn't have any cash on me and couldn't help her out either way. So I wished her a "happy birthday" we shook hands and she was on her way to the next group of people. I made it to my destination. Walk up to the counter to purchase my ticket. Hand over my credit card and the attendant asks to see my ID - you know, to prevent fraud and whatnot. He looks at it, compares signatures, then hands it back.
"Wow, you speak really good English for someone that's from out of the country." He says upon returning my ID.
"Uhmmm, I'm from Canada" I reply, thinking did this guy actually look at my ID or not because it says Canada right on it. Anyways, he's all "I hear you guys have coloured money, is that true?" So, I go into my purse, and whip out a Canadian $10 bill I have been carrying around for the last three months. And I blew his mind.
I board the elevator and take that 41 second ride to the top as the attendant rambles off facts and what we're seeing as we go up. Get to the top, walk around, take some pictures. It was beautiful. I might have spent longer at the top if it was a sunny day, but it was still an awesome experience. Also the most expensive elevator ride I think I've ever taken.
I head back down, meander through the gift shop. Giggle to myself at the "Space Needle" shaped lollipops that resemble a part of the male anatomy a little too well. Then I make my way back out the doors and retrace my original steps. I'm on my way back to the market. Cross the street only to be met by a man shoving a crumbled piece of orange paper in my face claiming that he needs $5 to stay in the homeless shelter tonight. Great, but I apologize that, again, I don't have any cash on me. This man grows irate and starts yelling at me that he doesn't want cash but instead wants things like pennies and nickles, YOU KNOW?! I reply, calmly and nicely that I don't have any cash. NO CASH. Okay, well I don't have any change either, I tell him. SEE CHANGE. NOT CASH. I WANT CHANGE. And before he can even finish the last word he's onto the next people. Asking for change not cash.
Before I make it back to the market I have another person wave to me on the street and tell me that they love me. Thank you? And I keep walking. I make a pit stop one block away from the market at this little cupcake shop called CupCake Royale. A couple of the girls working inside the market recommended it to me. So I place my order for my one birthday cupcake and on a whim I ask, do you guys give discounts for birthdays? Of course they do. You get a free birthday cupcake! Never hurts to ask, apparently.
I get my cupcake and now I'm finally back at the market. I walk around the entire Pike Place Market. Looking at all the stands and shops. Enjoying many samples of fruit and jams and pasta and, well, you name it. After a few hours I head back to my hostel. As I sat eating dinner in the kitchen, messaging a couple of my friends about the days events. I laugh at all the shenanigans I encountered but then I think of how grateful I am that I got to spend a birthday, completely expectation free. Strangers wishing me a happy birthday. Enjoying free coffee and a cupcake. Life could be worse my friends, life could be worse.
| In front of the gum wall - second germiest tourist attraction in the world! |
| World Famous Fish Throwers of Pike Place Market |
| Waiting for my birthday drink at The Original Starbucks |
| At the top of The Space Needle |
No comments:
Post a Comment