I found bed bugs.
I had a minor panic attack, wanted to throw up, but quickly pulled it together. I grabbed my laptop, did some research and spent the next four hours inspecting my stuff, putting all clothes that were out in plastic bags, showering and vigorously beating/brushing off my luggage.
Worst part is that when I had first arrived I even moved all the pillows and the mattress and checked by the headboard and the sheets, and again before I went to bed - no sign of anything. Those little buggers were hiding real well. The good part is that I was smart enough to not leave anything on the floor, bags were done up, and I only had worn one outfit in the room.
Right now I am at a laundromat watching my clothes tumble on high heat for about 1.5 hours so any trace of those bastards are fried. Awful experience but like I said, it was only a matter of time. I am not surprised but I do know I will have the feeling of bugs crawling on me for the next little while.
To summarize the lessons I have learnt so far:
1) Don't drive at night on deserted highways because there will be moose.
2) Don't trust your GPS. When it leads you down unpaved roads - TURN AROUND.
3) When arriving at a new place to spend the night check EVERY inch of the bed, move sheets, move mattresses, check all surfaces before committing to staying.
Some may say I've learnt my lessons the hard way. I would be one of those people saying this. But, hey, you know these are lessons I'll never forget.
*Disclaimer: I do not recommend the Econo Lodge in Sharon, Mass. to anyone. Not because of the bed bugs - those can be killed and the issue resolved. But because the staff and presumably the owner responded to me informing them of the issue upon checkout with complete rudeness and was on the defense instead of offering a simple apology. I guess if he apologized he'd be admitting he was at fault and I might do something completely outrageous like ask for my money back.*
Oh my god that is horrible Lauren!!! I travel a bit for work, and I've been told the best place to check for the little buggers, are the seams of the mattress, along the trim. Lift the trim, and they hide in there!!
ReplyDeleteYeuk- gives me the jitters!!!!
Hope you don't have to experience that again!