It's funny. You can be at the most touristy destination, like Disney World or Graceland, and people are so extremely hesitant to stop another tourist to ask them if they wouldn't mind snapping a quick picture of their group. It seems people tend to think this is some huge inconvenience or something. When really, a simple: you take ours, we'll take yours, trade makes life a lot easier than trying to fashion a good selfie - attraction in frame and all.
Travelling on my own I kind of started making a joke out of it on Instagram, and those of you that follow me will know, I started a little "hashtag" collection of images #PicsWithHalfMyFace because there seems to be very few opportunities that one can capture the attraction and their entire person in the same frame, especially on a cell phone. All jokes aside, however, I was reminded of the kindness of strangers when I accidentally happened upon Metropolis. Yes, it is the one you are immediately thinking of. Home of Superman.
I snapped a few of the man himself from a distance away, being sure to capture all it's glory. I then proceeded to walk up the little pathway into the display. Tried as I might, there was not a hot chance in you know where that I was going to be able to take a picture of this statue and anything more than #HalfMyFace. As I struggled, a dad with his three children and a few other dads and their kids walked up to Superman and the dad, without hesitation, said: "Here, let me."
It's the simple things that can brighten someones day and I want to send a sincere thank you out to this dad and the COUNTLESS others that have either, of their own free will offered or have agreed after my asking to snap a photo for me in these truly amazing places that I've been lucky enough to see thus far.
Next time you find yourselves out on the road and you see another group struggling to take a selfie or watch as the odd man out has to volunteer to not be in the picture, take three seconds out of your life and offer to help. Good deed of the day: check.
No comments:
Post a Comment