Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Space VS Place

"And when you're alone, there's a very good chance you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some, down the road between hither and yon, that can scare you so much you won't want to go on. But on you will go though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. On and on you will hike. And I know you'll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are. You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact. And remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act" (Dr. Seuss).

When you think of or hear of a place that you've never been, you imagine this place. You have an idea, maybe you've seen pictures. Or read articles. Maybe a friend or family member has told you stories about their incredible all-inclusive Cancun vacation. Or perhaps you've heard about walking through Central Park. And, you have an idea. A picture forms in your head about how you expect these places to be. What they might be like should you ever get the chance to visit. 

This imagination or imagined identity makes it a space. You know it exists. And surely it is a geographic location. But the only thing that you may have to associate with the names of places like Wyoming or New Brunswick will be the idea, the stories, what you've heard or can imagine these spaces will be like.

There is this really cool phenomenon that happens when you've been as lucky as I am to have been able to travel around North America. A space transforms into a place. I knew it was something amazing but I couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly it was. But a week or so ago a group of us were sitting around the table in Edmonton talking about all these places we've travelled and things we've learnt or seen or done. And as we all took turns talking about various locations, I could see the flip flop between space and place, even within my own experiences. As Mike, Flo, and Jana talked about Australia and New Zealand I found myself imagining what these two spaces are like. Beaches, and wild animals. Surfers and kiwis. Among many other things that immediately come to mind when discussing these two spaces. But, that's all they are to me. And all they will continue to be unless I ever go there myself and transform these spaces into places.

The association of feelings. Or a memory. A tangible emotion. By my definition, this is what transforms space into a place. It goes from being unknown and imagined to real and vivid. When I think about Kansas it's no longer where Dorothy and ToTo got whisked away by a tornado. Instead, it is the place I got to couchsurf with Case and Logan and their dog Sebastian. It's where I sang karaoke and enjoyed $3 martinis. I got to explore the Museum of Treasures and took a trip to what is now one of my favourite zoos: The Sedgwick County Zoo. Yet, people still have the audacity to ask - why Kansas?! 

New York. New York, New York. You're the city that still mostly remains a space to me. Much left the be discovered. But for now you'll always be the place that has the worst traffic imaginable - even worse than Los Angeles. And I am fully qualified to make that distinction. 

Speaking of LA, to me, you'll always be the place where I didn't see any celebrities. The place where the Dolby Theatre was closed the one day I wanted to go and take a tour. And the place that was 39 degrees (Celsius) on the day I decided it was a good idea to walk around the entire Walk of Fame. You're home to the Hollywood Sign. And The Grove shopping centre. You're the place that should be rather intimidating to a girl walking around alone on a Sunday afternoon - camera in one hand, phone in the other. Clearly a tourist. But yet, you're not. Because everyone is a tourist. And there is an In-N-Out Burger on almost every corner. Ones you even have to line up outside the parking lot before you can even get anywhere near placing your order. 

Vancouver, if we're being honest, I never really liked you. But that's because the first time we met I was rushed. And on someone else's schedule. This time, I think we got along just fine. It never hurts when you stay with friends that sit around for hours past what should have been their bedtime to play games. Making rare memories like - that time I was walking around Stanley Park and looking at the totem poles when a coyote decided to strut on through. 

And, Tennessee. I loved you so much I went back twice. I said it once, okay maybe I've said it a thousand times already, but if I could - if it was legally possible for me - I would move to you in a heart beat. Never in my life have I found a place that I feel so much like I belong there. Everything from the southern hospitality - yes, it's real. To the accents. The cowboy boots. The honkytonks. The history. It's contagious. I can close my eyes and retrace my steps from 1st ave up to Broadway. Into Honkytonks like Ripey's or The Stage. I see myself back in that Bridgestone Arena seat, all by myself, watching the CMA Country Christmas taping. I see the line on the wall in the dressing room of the Grand Ole Opry that reminds how high the flood waters got. I remember the honour I felt being able to stand in the circle on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. I blush with embarrassment at the memory of me knocking over my entire drink in the Ryman Auditorium. And, I could never forget, the decadence that completely engulfs the home of The King, Graceland.

But when I think of Nashville and Tennessee, I also think of Amanda, Chloe, Nick and Quintin from Illinois (and Michigan). I think of my short-term travel buddy Ailie from Scotland. I think of Janna and her daughter from Nashville, sitting beside me at the CMA Country Christmas taping. Pointing out all the famous people, giving me tips for seeing their amazing city, and to this day - keeping touch on twitter. 

It's a crazy, bizarre, amazing, cool phenomenon that happens when a space turns into a place. The best part is that you don't even realize it's happening. And, until you sit down to reflect on it, you may not even realize just how much meaning a space, now as a place, holds for you. It's overwhelming for me. Especially when someone asks me how my trip was. Or what was my favourite place. It's hard. How can I possibly narrow it down. I draw a blank and reply with good. Or Nashville. But if you get me talking and really thinking, I could go on for days about the incredible places I have been lucky enough to see over the past months. 

"So... be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Medecai, Ali Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way! 

Oh! The places you'll go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment